The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 9057  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 1 
Followers: vstringfellow
 Post subject: HP Recall
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: pavilion dv9820ea notebook
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 623
Date Purchased: 28 Jul 2008
Hi I have just joined this site after reading some of its invaluable advice. I am not that up on computers,just turn on and use so forgive my ignorance or lack of understanding !

My problem is,I purchased two HP Pavilion DV9820EA notebooks from HP in July 2008,one for my wife and myself.Two weeks ago one computer has failed and we have been informed it is the graphics chip and expensive to repair.I contacted HP to be told that a recall was sent out for these laptops last year by email.We are registered with HP and did not receive the email.Customer service are extremely dismissive and rude being heard in the backround saying it is tough and tough s??t.
My computer is still working but the person who my wife went to see said that mine will fail too.I was told on the phone that emails were sent out in batches,whatever that means,and I have also found out all models that failed in Canada have been refunded no question,and the whole recall has been very low key.What disgusting behavior from a company like this.Please,does anyone have advice,thanks.

Steve

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: HP Recall
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Steve and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your laptops.

I agree that HP's behaviour in this matter has been absolutely scandalous. They really don't care that thousands upon thousands of their customers are now left with a useless pile of junk.

This is not just here in the UK either but worldwide.

Even the Chinese government is taking HP to task over the number of failures in China and hopefully they will demand a recall of all affected models.

Back to your case though, I have a few questions to see if I can help.

1) Where do you live?
2) Who did you purchase the laptop from?
3) How did you pay (Cash/Credit card)?

Please let me know the answers to the above and I will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hi Paul

Thanks for reply.Yes I agree HP have really let themselves down.Companies are so clever and yet so dumb at the same time.I was told HP was a good company who made good computers.So I purchased two computers from them thinking they would last and be reliable.How wrong was I.Instead of HP using their heads and looking after the customers they already have,or had,they choose or chose rather to act in a way that has put people in the know from ever buying from them again.

These people now will advise others of their experience with this company and HP will lose even more potential customers.An example,I do not know much about computers so went on what I was told.I have three children who all want computers.I visited PC World a couple weeks ago and walked past all other brands and stopped at the HP counter.My daughter wants a laptop for school,her first computer.HP had a certain sale because I trusted their product and only would have bought from them.I do not have time to search for the best deals or read specs on different models.I believed HP would not let me down.Now I know different.Now they have lost my money on my daughters laptop and my two sons in the next few months,and in years to come as they will want replacements throughout school and university.I will tell my children to tell their friends not to buy HP because they are a bad company.I will tell other parents of my experience and also friends and family.Who will all go onto tell their story too.Spreading the word.This is going on around the country.That is alot of lost sales!

So rather than place people who know how to talk properly to customers in their customer service centres,and also to accept responsibility for their faulty products when they go wrong,they act in a manner which is very damaging to their profit margins.They are so narrow minded that they see only the saving in not refunding customers.But to their cost fail to take on board that despite the millions they spend on advertising for new customers,having not looked after customers they already have,they are losing much much more in sales because of a very powerful thing that is,gossip,word of mouth,the internet and forums like this, and the school playground.The saying rings true in this case HP,a bird in the hand......you know the rest!

Paul,I live in Plymouth,Devon.I bought the computers from HP,and I used credit card but have since broken the contract with this card company so I think I will not be able to go back to them.
One computer has failed,but mine is working at the moment.I do not know what the recall was for,to repair or refund.So I have two situations,one laptop which has failed,and one that will but not yet.Can I chase for a refund on both or no,as having read a few posts on here,I just rather buy from someone else now and have nothing to do with HP ever again,so a repair is not what I want.

Thanks Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Steve,

I agree with everything you said in your post. The more people that can inform others of the treatment that they have experienced at the hands of HP the better.

One article likened HP's antics to that of Del Boy, but I disagree; Del boy isn't that shady!

Steve wrote:
I bought the computers from HP,and I used credit card but have since broken the contract with this card company so I think I will not be able to go back to them.

This is not true. Even if you didn't have the card anymore and had closed your account the card company would still be responsible.

There is a well known case of a man who purchased a car for £36,000 but put £100 on his credit card. The car later failed catastrophically and the retailer had gone out of business. The card company were responsible for the whole amount so please do not worry about breaking your contract with the card company.

Steve wrote:
So I have two situations,one laptop which has failed,and one that will but not yet.Can I chase for a refund on both

I would treat each laptop as an individual case and would deal with them separately.

I would start with the laptop that has already failed and then once that is sorted I would then start with the second laptop.

In the first instance I would send HP a letter before action. There is a template available for download from this forum and that is here:- letterbeforeaction.pdf

You should download that, edit it with your details and send it to HP via recorded delivery. Please ensure you keep a copy of the letter and postal receipt.

This gives them seven days to comply. If they fail to do so in that time you should then obtain an engineers report on your laptop.

We can help you with this as it is a service we provide. The cost of the report is recoverable from HP as it is a consequential loss.

Once you have the report you should send it to HP along with a final letter before action, a copy is available here:- letter-wth-report.pdf

This gives them a final seven days to comply. If they fail to do so in that time then you should pop on over to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk and file a small claims action against HP.

If your laptop is indeed inherently defective then you really cannot lose.

There is a step by step guide available in this forum that will guide you through the process and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:20 pm 

Hi Paul, sorry for delay.I have finally got round to proceeding with this.I am going to send the first letter to HP this week.
I will use your service for the report if and when needed.Could you possibly allow me to email you as a way of continueing with this.

Thanks Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Steve,

No problems with emailing me, I will send you a PM with my address (it's not advisable to post email addresses's into forums as you could end up getting spammed to death.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am 

Model: g60-125NR
Amount Paid: 600
Date Purchased: 12 Jun 2009
Date Failed: 10 Oct 2011
Hello, well over 2 years ago I purchased an HP G60-125NR with the NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G. The laptop hasn't been used that much so it shouldn't have failed; however, about 2 months ago it started shutting down erratically and beginning to only boot up on occasion. I'm in the U.S. and I've seen a class action lawsuit against Nvidia but it has closed. Can you direct me to resources in the U.S. who can help me get HP to replace this machine? I did not receive any information on a recall on my laptop from HP. Thank you so much for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Vstringfellow and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Unfortunately, as you correctly pointed out, the class action in the States has now closed so you would not be able to join that.

Unfortunately I am unsure of the laws in your country so am unable to advise with regard to that but can say that there have been numerous successful cases where individuals have sued HP for selling inherently defective laptops.

There used to be a forum based in the States situated at www.hplies.com but this is no longer running and I do not know of any other resources in your country that is actively dealing with this problem.

I would suggest that you seek some free legal advice in your country to see what avenues, if any, are available to you.

I have said this many times on this forum but persistence is the key to success.

Stick to your guns, don't be swayed but most of all persist, persist persist and you will succeed.

This is a worldwide problem and HP should put their hands up and admit that they have a serious problem on their hands.

Good luck with your quest and please keep us updated on your progress.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence