The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 6742  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 3 
Followers: Kariba, qmlanuclc, NinelBiorm
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:04 pm 

Model: dv9820ea
Graphics Card: 8400M GS
Amount Paid: 550
Date Purchased: 24 Jun 2008
Date Failed: 11 Dec 2011
I have a HP 9820ea with the Nvidia 8400M GS card. It started doing some very unusual things recently ... nvlddmkm.sys errors, BSOD, randomly freezing display etc. I managed to get it working on an external monitor, but even that now is unreliable.

I got hold of Nvidia and they suggested upgrading the driver to 301.42, then downgrading it to 285.62, when it didn't work, cleaning the registry and running various utilities etc etc. Everything they suggested worked for less than 24 hours and would have to do a system restore every time. Sometimes it would work on the laptop display, sometimes only the external, occasionally both, but often on neither. The automatic windows update provided a lot more stable driver than anything they suggested.

Nvidia have finally admitted today that they think the card is 'malfunctioning'

Hello,

Thank you for the update.
Since we have already tried the basic troubleshooting steps and issue persists. I am sorry however; I suspect that the issue you are experiencing could be due to the malfunctioning of the graphics card. Hence, in order to troubleshoot the issue further, I would request you to try installing the graphics card in a different computer.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please feel free to contact us for further clarifications.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

I also had the following update from HP as I had contacted them to say I thought the 8400M card was defective.

Thank you for contacting HP and raising the issue you are having with your machine.

The Nvidia issue was a program which HP and other manufacturers offered a limited warranty period for customers who where outside of warranty to claim a service enhancement for their HP product.

Now we are outside of this time we cannot offer the same conditions. We have checked your product, and your product is not part of the program. You can also check this online on the HP Website.

Please go to http://www.hp.co.uk/totalcare if you then select your product on the web page. Please put the model number of your laptop into the search box. The next support page will display any product recalls or alerts for your machine. If none are listed then we can’t accept any claims under this issue.

We do offer several free options for support outside the warranty period, as well as HP’s Technical Phone Support at a reasonable fee.

I'll reply to HP and see what they have to say for themselves.

:b

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Kariba and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Your laptop contains an Nvidia 8400, GPU Revision G86-730-A2 and is failing in large numbers.

I performed a quick search on my database of laptops that I have inspected and found that the same GPU is also incorporated into the following laptops which are all failing in large numbers:-

Quote:
Dell XPS-M1530

HP DV9850EA
HP DV9655EA
HP DV9827EM
HP DV9572EA
HP DV9646EM
HP DV6920EA
HP DV9890EA
HP DV9657EM
HP DV9702EA
HP DV6855EA
HP DV9700
HP DV6623EM
HP DV9770EA
HP DV6820EA
HP DV9820EA
HP DV6810EM
HP DV6910EA
HP DV9565EA

Samsung NP-R70T001S/UK
Samsung NP-R700-AS002/UK
Samsung NP-R70A007/SUK
Samsung NP-R700-AS003/UK
Samsung NP-R70A004/SUK
Samsung NP-R700-AS01/UK
Samsung NP-R70A003/SUK

Sony VGN-FZ18M
Sony VGN-FZ21S

The above models are just a tiny fraction of those incorporating the self same GPU as is incorporated into your model.

All the above which are highlighted in red have, in one way or another, been declared by the manufacturer as being inherently defective.

In the case of the HP models a BIOS update was released which switched the fans on continuously in order to keep the GPU cool. All this achieved was to push the laptops beyond their warranty period. It did not remove the defect that the laptops contained.

As you will see there are a number of Samsung's listed above yet Samsung have not officially released details of the product lines that have been affected by this defect yet, strangely enough, they have received compensation from Nvidia.

That can be verified in the NUFI V Nvidia court action brought by NUFI (National Union Fire Insurance) which is Nvidia's very own insurance company.

In the court action it is stated:-

NUFI wrote:
“On the 11th of September 2008, Nvidia told NUFI that Apple was on its case. On the 9th of October 2008, Nvidia sent an email saying that claimants included HP, Quanta, Wistron, Compal and Asus. Then, the following day, Asus and Samsung chipped in.

A lull followed until Fujitsu Siemens asked Nvidia for damages.”

The GPU in your laptop looks like this:-

The above GPU is from a HP DV9827EM laptop which has had the BIOS update proving that HP knew of the potential for it to fail.

The fact that HP have denied that there is a problem with your model of laptop is irrelevant because if it can be proved that your laptop contains the defect then you would be able to make a claim so take absolutely no notice of what HP claim.

I need to ask a few questions to be able to advise further.

1) Are you resident in the UK?
2) Can you prove purchase and what method of payment did you use?
3) Who did you purchase the laptop from?
4) Please can you let me know the serial number of your laptop so I can ascertain some further information.

Once you have furnished me with the above I will advise further.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Thanks for all the info.

In response to your questions
1. Yes, UK resident
2. Still have original emailed order/receipt. Not sure how I paid, but probably debit or credit card.
3. Bought from HP Direct
4. Serial CNF

Last edited by Kariba on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Kariba,

Thank you for providing that extra information.

Fingers crossed that you paid by credit card as that would mean that you have extra protection should HP try and fob you off.

Your serial number shows that your laptop was manufactured in China in week 19 of 2008 which is when all the defective GPU's were being used.

Even if HP were correct that the GPU in your laptop is not affected then how can they account for the fact that your laptop failed in the same was as those that they have admitted are inherently defective?

Your first step is to send HP a letter before action which gives them seven days in which to respond back to you with an offer of a resolution.

If you do not receive a response from HP within the seven days allowed in the letter before action then you should obtain an engineers report.

Once you have the engineers report you should send HP a copy along with a final letter before action.

This again gives HP seven days to respond. If after the seven days you have not received a response then you you file a small claims action against them.

If HP do respond back they may tell you that you are out of warranty and that there is nothing that they can do.

You should tell them that the warranty status is irrelevant as you have six years from the date of purchase in which to bring an action against a retailer when the goods in question are inherently defective.

If they say they will inspect it for a fee you should refuse and say that due to the "reverse burden of proof" then you will provide your own independent engineers report.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm 

Thanks again for the advice. I will let you know how it goes. Have just emailed HP again asking for their registered office address to begin the proceedings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am 

I had a call from Emma at HP Complaints in response to my email saying that my model was not part of the recall and as it was out of warranty, it was not their problem. I asked them to confirm that in writing, but they refused as they were 'just a call centre' and were not allowed to send out letters! She also refused to give me a registered office address and told me to send it to HP Complaints, PO Box 482, Gateshead, NE9 9BN. She said that it would come to their department at which point they would just reject it again.

Interestingly, she said the Nvidia recall ran from 2007 - 2010. As I only bought the laptop in mid-2008, that means they already knew about the defective GPU and were recalling it while still continuing to sell laptops with them installed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Kariba,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Isn't it scandalous that they refused to give you a proper address for HP and that the address they gave you would end up back with those that had refuted your claim?

Even then, in their own words they stated :-

HP wrote:
She said that it would come to their department at which point they would just reject it again

How obnoxious is that!

The address that you should send all documentation to is as follows:-

Hewlett-Packard Ltd
Amen Corner
Cain Road
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1HN

You should send the letter before action to the address that I stated above and should ensure that you send this via recorded delivery.

Please ensure that you keep a copy of the letter and also the postal receipt.

Let's see if they are as obnoxious when they realise that they will be sued if they do not comply with their legal obligations.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm 

Just had another call from someone from the 'Managing Director's escalation team'. He's saying it was only a batch of 8400M's that was affected and that's why only some models were recalled. However, he has agreed to put that in writing for me now.

They're refusing to budge, but when I get the letter I'll be able to respond accordingly.

:b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Kariba,

What HP have stated goes against what the facts show.

I have tested a large number of the same model as yours, the DV9820EA and they were all found to contain the defect.

Below is a small sample of serial numbers of those laptops:-

Quote:
CNF8156890
CNF81568DG
CNF81620NM
CNF81621L7
CNF81621LS
CNF81653CX
CNF8171PYK
CNF8171Q7H
CNF8171QY5
CNF8171R1S
CNF8171R79
CNF81735TG
CNF81813SX
CNF8192559
CNF8193GLH
CNF8235CC7
CNF8235CMB
CNF8235CNB
CNF8235CSM
CNF8235CTC

You will note that the above serial numbers are almost sequential.

In case you didn't know the serial number is made up of a number of parts which helps to identify certain things.

I will use your serial number, CNF81925FQ, as an example.

CN=Country of manufacture. In your case China
F=Plant of manufacture within that country
8=Year of manufacture. In your case 2008
19=Week of manufacture. In your case week 19
25FQ=Unique identifier for the laptop.

So your laptop was manufactured at plant F in China in week 19 of 2008.

As I stated in a previous post, the same GPU that is in your laptop is also contained in a large number of other models of laptops all of which are failing in large numbers.

There is even more evidence that I can provide.

For example, the following laptops which have been declared as being inherently defective by HP have the following build dates:-

The HP DV6920EA has a build date of or around week 23 of 2008.

The HP DV6855EA has a build date of or around week 20 of 2008.

The HP DV9770EA has a build date of or around week 11 of 2008.

As you can see, just the above information shows that laptops containing the same GPU with the same revision as yours and built roughly around the same date as yours are indeed inherently defective.

I would therefore completely disregard what HP have stated and so your next step is to obtain an engineers report which will hopefully irrefutably disprove their claim.

If you would like me to provide you with such a report then please take a look here:- need-an-independant-engineers-report-t62.html

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence