The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 4304  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 0 
 Post subject: Pavilion dv7-1270ez
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: dv7-1270ez
Purchased From: Direct From Manufacturer
Amount Paid: 0
Date Purchased: 29 Apr 2009
Date Failed: 03 Oct 2011
Hi all!

First of all, thanks for setting up this platform!

So here is “my NVIDIA case”, but I really wanted to be 100% sure that it’s because of the GPU and not something else.

Symptoms: complete freeze of WIN 7 64 bit, no alt + ctrl + del possible, I can only reboot by pulling the power supply or by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

Less frequently, the LCD goes black for 1-2 seconds, then returns, but a system tray bubble reads: “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 280.26 stopped responding and has successfully recovered”. After that, the PC works for a while but will definitely freeze sooner or later.

The perfect test to make my PC crash is simply to browse to http://www.flightradar24.com , select a plane and follow it. After MAX 10 minutes, the PC goes into freeze.

Interesting thing, however: I am currently running the Fishbowl HTML5 Graphics Benchmark, with 1000 fish in the bowl and 13 FPS. The temperature is at 72°C , the GPU Load at 67%, but there is still no crash.

On the other hand, like I said, flightradar makes the PC crash almost directly and with no noticeable temperature rise!

BOTH tests above are done in IE9, fully clean WIN 7 installation (i.e. no virus, format before reinstall), full windows updates, but no Java, no Flash and no Silverlight installed yet (fresh installation, remember ;) )

UPDATE: in the meantime, probably due to the temperature rise, the fan kicked in and dropped the temp to 66, as I type.

Hence, my doubts… I don’t really find my laptop model in the topic “Just some of the laptops that HP admit are defective”. Then again, it’s probably not an exhaustive list in there, right? Or maybe I don’t have a very popular model? And what about my NVIDIA model (and date, ...) is it a known buggy one?

I also found http://nvidiasettlement.com/pdfs/NVF_NOT.pdf , but my model still does not appear in there.

I also did an Memtest86 4.0a during a whole night, but no memory errors were found.

The laptop:

HP Pavilion dv7
Pavilion dv7-1270ez
p/n : NG574EA#UUZ
Intel P8600 @ 2.40 GHz
4 Gigs Ram
Bios F.2D
Service Manual : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01918142.pdf

Let me know if any further spec is needed!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Screenshots:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Pavilion dv7-1270ez
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Hello DanausGR and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing with your laptop.

The temperatures that you have reported are okay and there is no sign that your laptop is overheating.

The message that you receive relating to the failure of the Nvidia GPU driver is a common occurrence when the GPU is failing, though to be honest I think your laptop has a little way to go before it does fail completely.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the fact that your laptop is not on HP's list. There are many, many models of laptops that are failing that are not on the list to the point the the list is kind of ineffectual.

The 9600 is basically an upgraded 8600 GPU with extra feaatures and whilst it is not as prolific in the numbers failing as some of the other Nvidia GPU's, it is still failing.

I would say that from the information you have provided with regard to the driver problem and the system freezing that your laptop is on the fringes of failure but hasn't quite failed yet.

Until your laptop fails completely or starts to display lines and artefacts you will find it very difficult to proceed with a claim as it would be very difficult to prove the presence of the defect.

I would suggest that you continue to use the laptop, heavily if you can, to see if either the laptop fails completely or starts do display more manifestations of the defect.

Once it does then you can begin your claim.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm 

Many thanks Paul for the prompt response!

Well, the thing is that it can fail any time it likes... I can use it of course to push it to its limits, but it's not reliable and I can definitely not use it for any serious stuff.

Anyway, it's now clear that customer support hotline can do nothing for me, so, inspired by the draft letter you uploaded, I'll shortly start disturbing some people at HP. They really should take the terms "customer satisfaction" a bit more seriously.

:x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:10 pm 

After a couple of emails quite "high" in HP's hierarchy, they (silently) opened a complaint ticket for my case. It's just incredible how high you need to write in order to get heard... Needless to say that I made it clear upfront that I wanted my case to be treated as a "formal complaint" by a case manager. But they tended to forget those keywords.

Of course, the only thing they did was just to close the case because the laptop is out of warranty since April 15th, 2010. They even had the guts to send a customer survey for the complaint handling :lol: Isn't that a winning attitude?

The laptop still freezes randomly after one more full format/reinstall I did, just to make sure that drivers / windows is not the issue. One freeze was quite spectacular to watch, that's why I filmed it and uploaded it to youTube.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Hello Dan,

Well, that certainly looks like the defect so I would say it is time to start your claim with the retailer.

I cannot believe that HP have fobbed you off like that - they could at least have explored the possibility that there was an inherent defect with your laptop.

I would now send them the letter before action as recommended in the step by step guide.

If you have not yet seen that then it is here:- post13.html#p13

Please ensure that you send the letter before action via recorded delivery to their head office. Please also ensure that you keep copies of the postal receipt and the letter.

If after seven days HP have not responded positively then you should proceed to the next step in the guide.

If your laptop is indeed inherently defective then the law is on your side and you really cannot lose.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.