The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
{ VISITS } Views: 53227  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 6 
Followers: fryball, dpmaslak, Sheehan, G188ONS, Rory, anne
 Post subject: Re: TESCO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Bluetootz,

Very good letter but may I make just a little comment.

In two places you stated:-

Quote:
With Tesco’s being the largest retailer in the UK, one expects better or at least the same treatment as other retailers are giving their customers i.e. full refund or replacement.

and also

Quote:
It may interest Tesco to note that other retailers have offered replacements to affected laptops or have given full refunds.

That is not strictly true as most retailers are offering a proportional refund rather than a full refund.

The number of customers who actually received a full refund are small by comparison.

I hope you don't mind me pointing that out.

Other than that an excellent letter and I hope that it prompts the required response.

Fingers crossed for you. :x

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm 

Laptop Make: Sony
Model: vgn nr38s
Amount Paid: 420
Date Purchased: 24 Jan 2009
Date Failed: 09 Nov 2011
Having spent about an hour readong over the various individual cases in this thread, i've just signed up as I am too sailing in the same boat, I have a Sony VGN NR38s bought from my local Tesco in Jan '09, I got longer than 20 months but since we have 6 years i'd rather not write off the cost of the laptop if it seems I can be compensated, the stage i'm at currently is that i've used Tesco's online contact form to give a brief detail, very brief it seems at the moment after reading all the letters on here,

mine basically says, "My Sony laptop has a faulty graphics chip and i've had it under 3 years, call me as it should have lasted longer"

I generally work on the basis that I am a human who's complaint will be read by a human, so I leave out all the jargon until it is really necessary, Tesco are quick to respond to enquiries normally so I expect to hear back this week for more info, I shall update accordingly

it is worth me adding that my need for a laptop isn't as strong as it was when I first bought, and a netbook would now suffice, do you think that any low offer of a part refund (£152 popped up on here a few times but I don't expect that as mine is a little older) could be negotiated with a counter offer of a £200 netbook, thus keeping my custom?

any opinions welcome

Rory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Rory and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Your laptop contains an Nvidia 8400 GPU (GPU REV G86-750-A2) which is widely reported as being defective and is failing in huge numbers.

Rather than leaving things to email I would give Tesco a call as that will expedite matters and you are likely to start your claim much quicker.

At first Tesco will probably try to refute your claim on the grounds that your laptop is out of warranty.

They may tell you that your laptop is out of warranty and that there is nothing that they can do. You should tell them that the warranty status is irrelevant as you have six years from the date of purchase in which to bring an action against a retailer when the goods in question are inherently defective.

They may then tell you to contact Sony. You should tell them that you purchased from Tesco and not from Sony so it is entirely Tesco's responsibility to resolve the situation.

They will then probably ask you to complete an "out of warranty form" which they will post to you.

In order to expedite matters here is a link to that form:- http://nvidiadefect.com/tesco_out_of_warranty_form.jpg

Based on the information you have entered in your profile the minimum that Tesco should offer you by way of a refund is £221.67.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:37 pm 

Model: VGN-NR38S
Graphics Card: 8400M GS
Amount Paid: 429
Date Purchased: 28 Dec 2008
Date Failed: 02 Aug 2012
Hi all
I also purchased a Sony Vaio NR38S with the 8400M GT chip back in December 2008.
Just a few days ago i put i to sleep to answer the door and when i tried to resume what i was doing NOTHING BUT A BLACK SCREEN :cr took it to a friend of mine and he directed me to this excellent forum due to the fact he had encountered this problem more than once.
To cut a long story short i purchased it from Tesco and paid them a visit today and you guessed it told out of warranty, talk to Sony etc so after explaining about the defective chips and my customer rights in a not so calm manner :j the assistant rushed of to his computer and printed me off a out of warranty claim form. I have now completed this and included proof of purchase and a copy of the excellent before action letter from here. Now to wait and see what they come back with :roll: I will post my progress as it unfolds but i will not be rolling over that easy :twisted:
Thanks for all the excellent info on this forum it has been very helpful.

Cheers Brett.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Brett and welcome to my forum.

I am sorry to hear that your laptop has failed but I am pleased that you have found us.

It is likely that they will continue to fob you off so persistence will be the key to success.

Let's see what they say in response to the out of warranty claim form and when they do respond please pop back and I will advise further.

Fingers crossed they don't put up too much of a fight.

Brett wrote:

You are welcome Brett, I am glad you find it useful.

Good luck and best wishes and I look forward to your next update.

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:15 pm 

Hi,

Does anyone know if the claims form attached on the previous page still correct?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Yes, the claim form is still valid.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:32 pm 

Lapcure wrote:
Hello Brett and welcome to my forum.

I am sorry to hear that your laptop has failed but I am pleased that you have found us.

It is likely that they will continue to fob you off so persistence will be the key to success.

Let's see what they say in response to the out of warranty claim form and when they do respond please pop back and I will advise further.

Fingers crossed they don't put up too much of a fight.

Brett wrote:

You are welcome Brett, I am glad you find it useful.

Good luck and best wishes and I look forward to your next update.

Paul
The Admin Team

Hi all,
just a quick update on my progress so far,Tesco replied today and in brief this is what they had to say :- They accept my laptop should have lasted more than 44 months , They are aware that some laptops have an inherent fault with the Nvidia chips but as far as they are concerned they have not sold any laptops containing this chip and are not aware that the Sony brand was affected as it was not listed in the class action settlement in America. They do not believe that my laptop was manufactured with the faulty Nvidia graphics chip so they cannot offer a replacement or full refund as this would put me in a position of betterment after having had use of it for three years.
The best they can offer is a £45.00 Tesco moneycard.
Also they say any legal action taken against them will be defended.

Cheers Brett.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Brett,

I am sorry to hear that you are no further forward with Tesco.

Take absolutely no notice of what they have said to you as it is factually incorrect.

Your laptop contains an Nvidia 8400 GPU, GPU revision G86-750-A2.

The self same GPU is also present in the following laptops:-

Quote:
Sony VGN-AR51M
Sony VGN-AR61M
Sony VGN-AR71J
Sony VGN-FZ11M
Sony VGN-FZ11Z
Sony VGN-FZ21E
Sony VGN-FZ21M
Sony VGN-FZ38M

Sony VGN-NR21S
Sony VGN-NR21Z
Sony VGN-NR32S
Sony VGN-NR32Z
Sony VGN-NR38S

All the above laptops that are highlighted in red have been acknowledged by Sony as being inherently defective.

Furthermore, I have checked my database of over 1,100 laptops that I have inspected and the GPU in your model laptop has a manufacture date of week 11 of 2008 give or take a week or so.

All the laptops that have been acknowledged as being inherently defective by Sony have a GPU with a manufacture date of 2007 - 2008 with most being around the same week as that in your laptop.

That also applies to all the laptops in the above list and I have photographic evidence of the GPU's to prove this.

Tesco wrote:
They are aware that some laptops have an inherent fault with the Nvidia chips but as far as they are concerned they have not sold any laptops containing this chip and are not aware that the Sony brand was affected as it was not listed in the class action settlement in America.

What absolute baloney!

What has the class action in America got to do with anything?

For Tesco to state that they have not sold any laptops containing the affected GPU is absolute nonsense and this forum is testament to that.

For example, here is a selection of postings regarding Sony laptops that they have sold:- http://tinyurl.com/d3z8aps

Here is a selection of postings regarding Dell laptops that they have sold:- http://tinyurl.com/cpn3bal

So for them to say that they have not sold any laptops containing one of the affected GPU's is easily refutable.

Tesco wrote:
The best they can offer is a £45.00 Tesco moneycard.

Well, their advert does state "every little helps" but that is downright insulting.

Furthermore, whilst they admit that the laptop "....should have lasted more than 44 months" they should also be aware that the Sale Of Goods Act states that a product should last a "reasonable period of time." Whilst there is no set definition on what a reasonable period of time is, a premium brand laptop such as a Sony really should last a minimum of 6 years so I would say in that respect alone it fails the Sale Of Goods Act.

Tesco wrote:
....any legal action taken against them will be defended.

Bring it on is what I say as they would have absolutely no chance of winning a claim as the evidence is pretty much irrefutable.

Furthermore, as they have given you disinformation with regard to this then one has to question everything that they state with regard to this matter. I am sure the Judge in any small claims action, should it get that far, would be unimpressed with the way that they are handling this.

Your next step is to obtain an engineers report which will hopefully prove the presence of the defect.

Once you have that you should send Tesco a copy along with a final letter before action. If they capitulate then great.

If they refuse to comply with their legal obligations then you should sue them as you really cannot lose.

If you would like me to provide you with an engineers report then please let me know.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm 

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the fast and very helpful reply,i have seen the link you have provided to obtain an engineers report and will be following it shortly,once i have the report i will be sending it along with the before action letter and see what response i get :x If i still don't receive a fair settlement then it will be time for the small claims court :evil: Rest assured i will see this through to the end !!.
Thanks again for the excellent help and advice.

Kind regards Brett.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next