The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 16175  Favorites Favorites: 1  Followers Followers: 0 
Favorites: anamanoel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Ana,

Yes, you will need to send them the letter before action first. This gives them the opportunity to offer a settlement now before you incur any costs in obtaining an engineers report. Send them the letter as advised in the Step By Step Guide and see what they say.

The turnaround time for producing a report is five business days from the date of collection.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:28 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: HP Pavillion DV6500 / DV6616ea
Graphics Card: 7150M GS
Amount Paid: 500
Date Purchased: 18 Jan 2008
Date Failed: 10 Sep 2009
Thank you Paul.

I am a bit confused with this report. I thought we needed to send the letter with a report, or will they ask for one if needed?

I think the Staples manager where I bought my computer from, told me they would want a report. I am not sure.

Can I use this mail that I found in one of this posts [email protected] , or I need to send a letter?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Ana,

There are two letters. One to send before you obtain a report and one to send after.

However, if Staples have told you that you need to provide a report then there is no need to to send the first letter before action and should proceed straight to obtaining a report.

The initial letter before action is only needed when the retailer refuses to accept your claim or when you do not receive a response from the retailer.

If they have asked you to provide a report then that is sufficient for you to proceed.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:59 pm 

Model: HP Pavillion DV6500 / DV6616ea
Graphics Card: 7150M GS
Amount Paid: 500
Date Purchased: 18 Jan 2008
Date Failed: 10 Sep 2009
Hello Paul.

I went to Staples today to clarify the report thing, but the manager I spoke with on Friday was not there. I spoke to the manager available today in store, and surprise, surprise, he told me everything that is in the step by step guide step 1. I told him what is suggested here, and in the end he gave me the costumer service number and told me to call them. "From what you're saying, they must be aware of the problem". It was his remark. He said he didn't know anything about this fault. He also said that if the other manager told me to get the report, then he would accept that. But I am not sure of what he said.

My question is, would be better to start with the letter and forget the shop?

Do I need to call costumer services like he said?

Thank you Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Anamanoel,

The whole point of the letter is to get the retailer to either capitulate without the need for an engineers report or to request an engineers report.

As the manager you have spoken to has requested that you obtain a report then that is the authority that you need to proceed.

There is no need to send a letter to head office only to be told that you need to obtain a report as this will not place you any further forward.

I have dealt with Staples for a long time and they are good to their word. If they have asked you to provide a report then you can be sure that they will offer you a resolution once you present them with it.

You can certainly call Customer Services for piece of mind. I would inform them that you have been asked to provide an engineers report and is this correct.

See what they say and then proceed from there.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:16 am 

Model: dv6500
Graphics Card: 8400M GS
Purchased From: Direct From Manufacturer
Amount Paid: 1475
Date Purchased: 10 Jun 2007
Date Failed: 01 Apr 2012
Hi Ana,

I am having the dv6500 white HP laptop. The display is not coming up from this Sunday but the laptop turns on.
Did you get your fixed by any ways?

I talked to the customer care of HP they said that you need warranty to get anything done.

Do you have anyways for proceeding further?

Thanks,
Sathiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Sathiya and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

In order for me to be able to advise further please could you let me know the P/N number of your laptop.

This number is printed on the white barcode label on the underside of your laptop.

Once you let me know this then I will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:19 am 

Model: dv6500
Graphics Card: 8400M GS
Purchased From: Direct From Manufacturer
Amount Paid: 1475
Date Purchased: 10 Jun 2007
Date Failed: 01 Apr 2012
Hi Paul,

My product number is gm816av. In that barcode behind my laptop it says dv6500 and in the LCD display panel it says dv6000. When I called the HP customer care and further they directed my call to a case manager. However it was not helpful. They said, we design laptops that lasts for the maximum three years. Since my laptop is almost 4 years and above they said I am lucky to have it worked for this long. I was shocked by this statement from a responsible person at a big concern called HP. The case manager insists for warranty even to talk about it. At that moment I thought, why did I choose HP?

Please let me know how to proceed further.

Thanks,
Sathiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Sathiya,

Your laptop is what is known as a CTO laptop, or Configure To Order, which basically means that unlike most of the "off the shelf" laptops which are sold as-is, yours is modified slightly to meet your requirements.

There is nothing wrong with this, I just wanted to make the point that your laptop is slightly different.

I am amazed that the HP Case Manager that you spoke to admitted to the fact that they design laptops that last for a maximum of three years.

It is a real pity that he didn't put that in writing as it would be dynamite. This is because any product that was designed to only last a specific length of time would be considered as being inherently defective. Besides which a laptop should last for a minimum of five years.

The warranty status of your laptop is irrelevant as under the Sale Of Goods Act and the Limitations Act you have six years from the date of purchase in which to make a claim against the retailer in situations like this.

Your next step is to send HP a Letter Before Action. This basically gives them seven days in which to make you an offer of a resolution. If they capitulate then great. If they refuse to replace your laptop or offer a refund then you will need to obtain an engineers report that will either confirm or refute your belief that the laptop is inherently defective.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence