The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 6699  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 0 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: G6-1061
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 449
Date Purchased: 30 Apr 2012
Date Failed: 01 Nov 2011
Hello, having been looking for advice on an issue I've got with JLP and my HP laptop, I came across this forum and after reading several posts with interest I'm hoping that it will help me with my current problem and possible future ones!!

My current problem is the fact that my wife’s HP laptop has a cracked screen and having taken it back to John Lewis, they are telling me that HP are saying the crack is due to misuse and as such it's £199 to replace

I'm adamant that the cause is not due to any form of misuse, it spent most of it’s six month life on a desk and had never even been outside the house. I’d first noticed a very feint line just a couple of months after buying it and after a couple more months of use I decided to call John Lewis to tell them of the problem. I called them in November and they said I would have to bring it in to them; however due to one thing or another I only managed to get it to them a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as the sales assistant saw the problem he said that it’s not covered by the warranty as it was due to misuse; amazing how quickly he deduced that from just seeing the screen. I questioned his diagnosis based on the fact that it hadn’t suffered any misuse what so ever and perhaps the fault could be a latent defect with the screen, something I had previously read about regarding a faulty batch of screens another manufacturer had experienced. He went on to tell me that laptops are fragile due to their nature and as such we’re not to refer to them as laptops as they’re not to be used on your lap!! Anyway to cut a long story short, John Lewis rang me today to say HP want £199 to replace the screen citing the fact that the screen was damaged due to misuse. I’m very much of the opinion that the laptop hasn’t suffered any misuse and I’m challenging their opinion, so much so I took the sales assistant to the limit of their training and they would have to get their manager to call me about the matter!

I apologise for the length of this introduction to my problem, but I’m hoping that someone can provide me with some advice on how I can pursue this. I’ve done a few searches and I’m aware that I can get a replacement screen for about £50 and having read a few tutorials, I believe that with my background in engineering and my comprehensive toolkit, I could repair it myself, but out of principal I want to pursue this with John Lewis and HP, after all, I think it’s their default position to say it’s not covered and then try and ignore any challenge. The frustrating thing about this is that my son has a HP laptop which has quite a hard life being carried around all over the place and is still going strong – one of the reasons why I went for a HP when I getting one for the wife.

Anyway, looking forward to receiving any comment :x

Gixxer

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Gixxer and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear about the screen in your laptop.

To be brutally honest with you one of the hardest things to prove is a manufacturing defect with a screen.

As you will appreciate, screens are very delicate and they can be broken quite easily and without realising that it has happened.

The problem is, you left it quite a while after initially discovering the line to actually letting JL inspect the laptop.

Had you let them do this immediately then your case would be much simpler.

As it is, JL could, quite reasonably, contend that the damage was as a result of misuse and that there is no evidence or reports of a manufacturing defect with the LCD panel in your model of laptop.

Saying that, one cause of a cracked screen can occur when either of the hinges seize.This causes undue strain on either the left or right hand side of the LCD panel causing the panel to break.

How did the crack progress from being a line to the screen being broken?

Was the lid left open after the last time you used it?

You are quite correct when you state that a panel only costs £50 and they are very easy to fit and I think that this may be the way that you will have to go.

In the absence of any corroborating evidence supporting the claim that there is a manufacturing defect with the panel then I would say that you would find it very difficult to secure a resolution from JL.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm 

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your comments.

To answer your questions;

Originally, the crack appeared to be a very feint line which when I first saw it appeared very much like a hair (suppose that's why they are called hair lines :idea: ). It remained like this for weeks and then got progressively worse over a few days.

The hinges are ok and I’ve never seen the lid flex when the lid had been closed, in fact the lid was hardly ever closed as it was mainly used at the desk.

I think I’ll go down the option of replacing the screen myself, do you recommend anywhere I can get one from?

I think that for the cost of repairing the screen for me, which I would have thought would have been minimal to them, about £20 wholesale if that and a few minutes labour, JL have lost a customer which spent several hundred pounds a year in either their department stores or Waitrose!

Anyway, thanks again,

Gixxer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Gixer,

It is a shame that you didn't report that to them, at least then you could have got them to repair your laptop at no cost.

A company that I can recommend is called Rolta and are here:- http://www.rolta.co.uk/

They are very good and I have used them for years.

Good luck with the replacement and if you need any advice then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:59 am 

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the advice, I've dropped them a line to identify what screen I need.

It's a pity they don't take collections, as they're not far from me the £15 repair looked like a good option.

Thanks again,

Gixxer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 am 

Hello,
Since my last post I went to collect my laptop and still being a little grumpy about the situation I was offered the opportunity to talk a senior manager, which I accepted. The manager listened to what I had to say, looked at the laptop and commenting on the (good) condition of it asked how I would like to resolve the issue. After telling him that I would like it repaired at no cost to me, he offered to resolve the situation and to cut a long story short, I’ve now got the laptop back repaired. Although initially frustrated by the situation, I think that the answer is to keep repeating a consistent message and get to talk to the most senior person you can; I also think that the condition of the laptop played a big part too, had it looked scruffy I think the outcome could have been different. Following the satisfactory resolution of the matter, JL have retained me as a customer due to their customer service, my wife now has full use of her laptop again and I will think before buying another HP product solely down to their service attitude!
Thanks, Gixxer.
:!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Gixxer,

Well done on your success. :! :! :! :!

John Lewis are pretty good in the way that they handle claims from their customers so well done to them for that.

I am really pleased that you persisted and reached this positive resolution. Well done to you. :! :! :! :!

Good luck and best wishes for the future.

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence