The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 16267  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 0 
 Post subject: Sony VAIO VGN-FE41Z
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm 

Laptop Make: Sony
Model: VGN-FE41Z
Graphics Card: 7600 GO
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 1100
Date Purchased: 0- 5-2007
Date Failed: 16 Sep 2011
:nh Hi I'm new to the board and a friend reconmend that I contact you.

Could you confirm if my laptop is effected - Sony VGN-FE41Z purchased from comet online in May 2007 (I think) has a graphic card detail of NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600 GPU.

It gets exceedingly hot (almost dangerous) and the screen has started to flash with green or red dotted vertical and sometimes horizontal lines. When booted up in safe mode it is better but has now started to flash again and freezes with a black screen as well forcing you to restart.

If it is effected what do I do next.

Appreciate your help

Thanks
Sarah

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Sony VAIO VGN-FE41Z
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Sarah and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

The problems that you describe do indeed point to the Nvidia GPU and I have inspected many laptops of the same model as yours and they were all found to contain the defect.

Obviously only an inspection would determine this conclusively but I would say that it is highly likely that your laptop is indeed defective.

I would now contact Comet and would tell them that you believe your laptop has failed due to an inherent defect with the Nvidia GPU.

They may tell you that your laptop is out of warranty and that there is nothing that they can do. You should tell them that the warranty status is irrelevant as you have six years from the date of purchase in which to bring an action against a retailer when the goods in question are inherently defective.

They may then tell you to contact Sony. You should tell them that you purchased from Comet and not from Sony so it is entirely Comet's responsibility to resolve the situation.

See what they say. If they say they will inspect it for a fee you should refuse and say that due to the "reverse burden of proof" then you will provide your own independent engineers report.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm 

Thanks very much for the advice.

I have spoken to comet (Rob, who incidentially had a defect graphics card on his PC) and they are saying they want to inspect.

Is this advisable? I did suggest I could take photographic evidence. I am loathed to send it to anyone with all my details on it although I've backed up I'm not sure how long I'll have some sight of whats going on.

Thanks

Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 pm 

As an update I phoned back with my receipt details and they said I needed to send an inspection report to Head Office. I have gone to your step 2 and will send the pre inspection letter to them first.

Regards
Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Sarah,

To be honest because the retailer has stated that you should send in a report then you should proceed straight to obtaining such a report.

The pre-inspection letter will simply prompt them into stating again that you should obtain a report.

If you would like us to provide you with such a report then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:42 am 

:?
Hi Paul - just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I am chipping away slowly with comet but have got to a bit of a brick wall. I sent them the preinspection report letter and they sent me a letter noting my coments and said was over 4 years old and no previous faults recorded they could offer an inspection but it would be on a chargeable basis.

So I proceeded to get an independent engineers report that confirmed the graphics chip had failed. I sent this with a letter based on your post inspection letter, which I had checked by a colleague who works in legal. I found there was a site on comet where you log on and then upload attachments so I decided that perhaps this would speed up the process. They first came back to say they needed the serial number of the laptop. So after pressing F2 several times at teh start up I found the serial number as it wasn't on the back of the laptop.

They have now come back saying:

"After discussing this matter with the Manager of our Multimedia team, and the manufacturer, they have advised that the Sony VGN-FE41Z T7 is not deemed to be an effected Nvidia model. I can therefore confirm that we would dispute the findings of the third party report that you have obtained.

Having taken the above into consideration, whilst we are able to offer a chargeable repair service, I am unable to agree to your request for a free of charge repair or replacement to be supplied.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me using the Ask a Question facility on the website http://comet.custhelp.com/app/ask "

Yet again after reading your posts comet is discrediting an independent report.

Do you think I should respond and say that there is nothing wrong with the laptop but the graphics card that is defect and this is known by NVIDIA. I can also upload a video clip that I took when I turned it on. Do you think that it is worth contacting Sony also? I also have the ability to perhaps start a case with my credit card company "Tesco"

I would really appreciate your thoughts on which way I should go now - I have lots of determination and really do want to get comet to own up and not be so varied with their responses to us all.

Kind regards
Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Hello Sarah,

Comet are unbelievable aren't they!

Please can you let me know the contents of the engineers report that you have obtained so I can see what tests etc the engineer has performed.

Once I know that I will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 am 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: hp pavillion d2000
Amount Paid: 932
Date Purchased: 17 Mar 2008
Date Failed: 05 Feb 2011
Hi Hoptroff,

I am suing Comet, and I think you should do too. They fobbed me off. They have no leg to stand on. They have already settled claims with other people that have the same laptop as me.

The court process takes quite a few months so the sooner you start the process the better.

All the best

Hoptroff wrote:
:?
Hi Paul - just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I am chipping away slowly with comet but have got to a bit of a brick wall. I sent them the preinspection report letter and they sent me a letter noting my coments and said was over 4 years old and no previous faults recorded they could offer an inspection but it would be on a chargeable basis.

So I proceeded to get an independent engineers report that confirmed the graphics chip had failed. I sent this with a letter based on your post inspection letter, which I had checked by a colleague who works in legal. I found there was a site on comet where you log on and then upload attachments so I decided that perhaps this would speed up the process. They first came back to say they needed the serial number of the laptop. So after pressing F2 several times at teh start up I found the serial number as it wasn't on the back of the laptop.

They have now come back saying:

"After discussing this matter with the Manager of our Multimedia team, and the manufacturer, they have advised that the Sony VGN-FE41Z T7 is not deemed to be an effected Nvidia model. I can therefore confirm that we would dispute the findings of the third party report that you have obtained.

Having taken the above into consideration, whilst we are able to offer a chargeable repair service, I am unable to agree to your request for a free of charge repair or replacement to be supplied.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me using the Ask a Question facility on the website http://comet.custhelp.com/app/ask "

Yet again after reading your posts comet is discrediting an independent report.

Do you think I should respond and say that there is nothing wrong with the laptop but the graphics card that is defect and this is known by NVIDIA. I can also upload a video clip that I took when I turned it on. Do you think that it is worth contacting Sony also? I also have the ability to perhaps start a case with my credit card company "Tesco"

I would really appreciate your thoughts on which way I should go now - I have lots of determination and really do want to get comet to own up and not be so varied with their responses to us all.

Kind regards
Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: HP Pavilion dv9655ea
Amount Paid: 800
Date Purchased: 09 Dec 2007
Date Failed: 12 Sep 2011
Hang in there Sarah, there are a lot of us who Comet are trying to fob off and the script is near identical. I for one are taking things right to the top both guns blazing, and will win. Stick to Pauls sound advice and you will not go far wrong. At times one feels alone in this quest for Comet to come to the party. One will also feel like wrapping it all in which is what Comet want us to do, and if you wrap it in then Comet is on a Win Win and gleefully rub their hands together. Nay stay put I say, and Tango / Fandango in court with Comet, it will be worth it in the end. I have made up a big A4 folder and inserted every thing from reciepts to communications in date order. Likewise Pauls Engineers report is included also bits of relevent information gleaned from the internet in respect to defective Nvidia chips. Your Tango for recompense is with Comet who sold you the dodgy equipment in the first place, not Sony.

Enjoy the ride, I am.

Kindest regards

Frank :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Frank,

As Comet seem to like printing out posts from this forum you should also do the same.

I would recommend you print this one out for a start:- post5842.html#p5842

Then there are these:- http://tinyurl.com/7a2oue9

These show other owners of the same model of laptop as you. The first link I have shown above shows a member with the same model of laptop as you who received a replacement laptop.

I would also advise that when you get to court that you impress upon the judge how I am only here to help customers such as yourself reach a positive resolution in the face of adversity and the dis-information that you have been given.

Whether or not customers obtain a report from me is irrelevant as I help everyone caught up in this diabolical situation.

It is also important that you make sure that the court case is kept on track and by that I mean that the only subject that should be discussed is the fact that your laptop is inherently defective. This forum and my running of it is irrelevant and is not a defence for Comet to use.

Comet have been known to go to court and simply bemoan the fact that I run this forum blah blah blah.

My running this forum is not a defence and Comet should change the record and their company policy!

You will get there in the end Frank, just make sure you have your dancing shoes on when you do. :D

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence