The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 8449  Favorites Favorites: 1  Followers Followers: 0 
Favorites: Xn4KBxhxj4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: dv9700
Graphics Card: Unknown
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 549
Date Purchased: 08 Jul 2008
Date Failed: 10 Oct 2010
Hi there I stumbled upon this site by chance and it certainly has provided me with answers. I bought a HP dv9700 actual model number dv9823em from currys in july 2008. It worked fine for 18 months then the dvd player stopped working followed closely be the sound dissapearing, the message no audio output device can be detected when I try to install any drivers for it appears and no audio device is listed in the device manager.

Then about six months ago the wi fi became faulty only working in one out of 5 or so attempts. I am wondering if my laptop is one of those with a faulty GPU my card is the geforce 7150m. Interestingly I downloaded new drivers from nvidia tonight and this has reactivated the wi fi and the dvd player now opens. However when I put a disc in the player it will not play on screen and there is still no sound at all.

Any help appreciated thanks Owain

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Owain and welcome to my forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Your laptop contains an Nvidia 7150M, GPU revision MCP67MV-A2 and is one of the GPU's recognised as being inherently defective.

That can be confirmed in the following extract from a court action between NUFI and Nvidia.

In that document it is stated:-

Quote:
“The filing then goes into chapter and verse about Nvidia customers. The chip claims arise out of allegedly defectively designed Nvidia chips G86, G86A2, G84, C51, G72, G72M, G73, G72A3, MCP67 and NV42. On August 6th last year, Nvidia contacted NUFI about a claim by Dell, demanding a defence and indemnity against claims against Dell.

On 4th September 2008, Nvidia told the insurance customer that Toshiba wanted compensation from Nvidia. On the 11th of September 2008, Nvidia told NUFI that Apple was on its case. On the 9th of October 2008, Nvidia sent an email saying that claimants included HP, Quanta, Wistron, Compal and Asus. Then, the following day, Asus and Samsung chipped in. A lull followed until Fujitsu Siemens asked Nvidia for damages.”

The particular GPU in your laptop controls many of the devices in your laptop such as the DVD, sound and wireless so the problems you are experiencing points directly to the GPU as being defective.

You should now contact Currys and should inform them that your laptop has failed due to what you believe is an inherent defect with the Nvidia GPU.

They may tell you that your laptop is out of warranty and that there is nothing that they can do. You should tell them that the warranty status is irrelevant as you have six years from the date of purchase in which to bring an action against a retailer when the goods in question are inherently defective.

They may then tell you to contact HP. You should tell them that you purchased from Currys and not from HP so it is entirely Currys responsibility to resolve the situation.

See what they say. If they say they will inspect it for a fee you should refuse and say that due to the "reverse burden of proof" then you will provide your own independent engineers report.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:07 pm 

Hi there thanks for the advice, I contacted currys today via phone and as expected the guy I spoke to knew nothing about this issue. I have obtained an address to send my letter to. However I have one worry we do not have the purchase receipt and it was paid for by a voucher issued to me to settle an insurance claim. Can they turn down any claim as we do not have any proof of purchase.
cheers Owain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Owain,

I would not worry too much Owain as companies within the DSG Retail Group, which Currys is, tend to take names and addresses at the point of sale.

You could therefore contact them and request a copy of the sales receipt quoting the address details that were relevant at the time of purchase.

So, to settle your worries, they should not turn down your claim as they will have evidence that you purchased the laptop.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm 

Hi there I sent my letter of intention of to curry's product support claims department on the 19th of December.
To date I have received no reply what do you advise I do next, thanks Owain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Owain,

Sorry to hear that Currys have not responded to your letter before action.

The next step is to proceed to obtain an engineers report. Once you have that you should forward a copy to Currys along with a final letter before action.

Hopefully that will prompt them into action.

If you would like me to provide you with an engineers report then please let me know.

Kind regards

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm 

Hi there I have finally received a response from currys, they want me to pay £50 for them to collect the laptop. They say they will examine it and fix it for free if they find anything wrong and refund my £50 if they find it to be faulty. How would you advise I proceed now, I actually have a friend who runs his own computer repair business and he has looked at it and confirmed what we both know the graphics card is to blame. Will a report from him be adequate.

Thanks again Owain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Owain,

If Currys want to charge you £50 to inspect the laptop then you have the right under the "reverse burden of proof" to obtain your own report.

As long as your friend is in the business of repairing laptops then a report from him will be fine.

He will need to detail the tests that he performs, the results of those tests and the reasons why he concludes that the laptop has failed due to the Nvidia defect.

He will also need to detail why the laptop should either be replaced or a pro-rated refund issued rather than the laptop being repaired.

I say this because the report needs to be accurate and irrefutable so that the contents cannot be disputed.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:52 pm 

Hi Paul I spoke to currys today and they are trying to persuade me to let them collect the laptop and examine it. Should I do this or am I best to obtain my own report. The guy on the phone told me that if I did obtain my own report then currys may not refund the cost of this if the Laptop is faulty. One interesting point though when I mentioned going through the small claims court he immediately told me that should a fault be found then a replacement or pro rata refund would be offered.

He did say it would prob be quicker if I sent the laptop to them and that it was not in their interest to lie, as I could then obtain my own report. However I am not sure about this. Do you know of others who have sent their laptops to currys and had a result or have most gone the independent report route,

thanks again Owain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Owain,

I would get back on to Currys and would tell them that you are more than happy to let them look at you laptop on the condition that they waive the £50 inspection fee. They have done this for others in the past so they should also do this for you.

Quote:
He did say it would prob be quicker if I sent the laptop to them and that it was not in their interest to lie.

Nobody is saying that they will lie about their findings, but to charge you to inspect the laptop when they were the ones who sold you it in the first place is grossly unfair.

Quote:
Do you know of others who have sent their laptops to currys and had a result or have most gone the independent report route,

Most of our members have gone the independent route as they were fobbed off when they initially contacted Currys.

As I said, if Currys were to offer a free inspection then you should take then up on their offer, but if they continue to want to charge you then the decision is yours as to which route to take.

Quote:
....when I mentioned going through the small claims court he immediately told me that should a fault be found then a replacement or pro rata refund would be offered.

Well that is great news, though I have to say that a replacement laptop would be much better than a pro-rated refund so let's hope they give you the choice, but my gut instinct tells me that they will offer you a pro-rated refund as that will be the cheapest option for them.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence