The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 7394  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 1 
Followers: adpierce
 Post subject: Dell XPS M1530
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:07 pm 

Laptop Make: Dell
Model: M1530
Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 800
Date Purchased: 22 Aug 2008
Date Failed: 10 Apr 2013
Well the dreaded Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT has failed. Followed all the checks to confirm although no engineers report.
I contacted Dell and they are trying to fob me off saying its the motherboard and not the Nvidia GPU and want £456.23 to replace.
The laptop was purchased in 2008 (as most seem to be) from a VAT Registered business on Ebay using American Express.
Should I pursue with Dell, the seller or Amex (who are generally like computerised chainsaws when they protect their clients).

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Dell XPS M1530
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello and welcome to my forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Considering the fact that your model has been acknowledged by Dell as being inherently defective I am a little astounded at the fact that they have tried to charge you £456 to replace the mainboard. This is extortionately high when you consider that Dell use refurbished mainboards to repair these laptops.

Please could you provide a little more information as to the nature of the failure so I can properly determine the true cause of the failure.

Once you have done that I will then reply with information on how to proceed.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:19 am 

Hi Paul,
The laptop has been getting hot - so hot it has burnt the paint off the bottom.
Then came a few fuzzy lines on the display whilst working.
Next came black screen of death.
I pressed the Fn and start and the screen turned through the red blue green but then nothing and no error codes.
The Dell Support says its a motherboard failure - although they haven't inspected it. I have read on the internet that Dells current response is "that there could only be an issue with integrated GPU's, and because the Nvidia 8600 GT GPU is discrete could not affect the motherboard".

I am concerned as I bought two of these XPS M1530's at the same time and I guess it will only be a matter of time until the other one also fails.

Cheers,

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 pm 

Hi again Paul,
I just received a response from Dell
"We understand that if there is any fault with “Nvidia Graphics card” then it is a free support and indeed you are eligible for the same however if the problem reported with your system is a NO POWER issue and we don’t find any symptom of graphics card failure issue we quote for repair as motherboard is not covered under five year warranty and this issue leads to a motherboard failure.
Thus, we request you to ring us on this number 0844 338 1000 and we will diagnose it again and if it is nvidia card issue ,you will receive free support.
P.S. Please check if your laptop is working via external display/monitor."

I'm not sure I follow checking whether it works on an external monitor - surely the graphics card would come into play.
What checks can I do to confirm that it is indeed the Nvidia and not a motherboard fault (although the GPU is part of the motherboard)?
I am working away until the weekend so will have to wait now anyway.

Cheers,

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Tony,

What they have stated is incorrect as sometimes the display will not work to the LCD panel but will work to an external monitor.

In any event, you have not stated that the cause of the failure is "No power" so what relevance that has to your claim is beyond me.

Furthermore, as Dell have admitted to the defect in your model of laptop then they cannot state that because your GPU is "discreet" then it cannot be affected. Your model of laptop contains an integrated GPU and your model of laptop is definitely affected so what they are stating is baloney.

If you have no display to the LCD panel then there are no tests that you can perform to confirm the presence of the defect, though I would say that based on my experience (I have inspected well in excess of 1,500 laptops) I would say that your laptop has definitely failed due to the defect.

What you do next is up to you. You can choose to either let Dell inspect your laptop or you can obtain your own report to prove the presence of the defect.

Either way if it is proved that the cause of the failure is due to the defect then Dell will have to pay up.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions then please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 am 

Hi Paul,
yes, I agree fully.
When the power button is pressed the usual blue lights flash in sequence but nothing on the display.
When powered up with the fn key pressed the red green blue flash on the screen then nothing.
So the power is there - just nothing else.
Will keep you posted and many thanks for your help

Cheers,

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 am 

Hi Paul,
well Dell accepted that it was a faulty GPU and came out and changed the motherboard.
I asked the "techy" whether it had the same potentially faulty nvidia and he said the new board with new bios would be ok - I didn't get an absolute commitment.
Anyhow, after he left, I switched the computer on and it wasn't long before the following repeated happened
Last evening the following kept repeating:-
System freezes
Display flashes
Screen goes black
Screen comes back with error message
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I updated the nvidia driver which seems to have stopped the above but when using "Techpowerup GPU-Z" the temperature is 116°C which, I think, is far higher than should be expected.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Tony,

The re-failure of your laptop does not surprise me in the slightest - especially when you consider that Dell use "refurbished" boards to repair these laptops.

How exactly Dell classify a board as being "refurbished" is anyone's guess but the expedient failure of the repair would indicate that the board is one which is most certainly inherently defective which flies in the face of the Sale Of Goods Act.

For the laptop to be reaching 116°C, which, in case you didn't know, is 17°C above the boiling point of water, is most certainly unacceptable and is potentially a hazard.

You should now get straight back onto Dell and should demand an alternative resolution - namely either a pro-rated refund or a replacement laptop.

You should also tell them that the repair which they have undertaken is potentially hazardous to yourself (you would burn your legs if that were to be used on your lap) and that you are not prepared to accept another repair unless they could give you a cast iron guarantee that the repair would be undertaken using parts that were guaranteed to be free from the defect.

In my opinion it is most unlikely that they will give you such a guarantee so any offer of a repair should be refused on the grounds that in all likelihood the repair will not be of satisfactory quality.

If they refuse to capitulate then you should waste no more time on them and you should proceed to file a small claims action.

It is scandalous that repairs to these laptops are being undertaken using sub-standard parts and this is patently obvious with the repair they made to your laptop.

Don't let them fob you off with another repair. Stand your ground, stick to your guns, be persistent and you will reach a positive resolution.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence