The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 3121  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 1 
Followers: LADmachining
 Post subject: Lenovo R61
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:46 am 

Laptop Make: Lenovo
Model: R61 8918-B8G
Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 585
Date Purchased: 10 May 2008
Date Failed: 18 Jul 2009
It would seem that my Lenovo laptop has died. :(

Started with strage ghost patterns and random squares on the screen, which has changed to multiple coloured vertical lines.

This happens on the BIOS splash screen, so is not a windows issue. Have tried an external monitor, but that is the same.

It has a Nvidia Quadro NVS140m GPU.

The warranty has run out, so I guess that Lenovo will not be interested. Will call them anyway.

The laptop was purchased from a company on eBay. Am going to email them tomorrow and mention the sale of goods act, and see if I get anywhere.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: Lenovo R61
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
LADmachining wrote:
It would seem that my Lenovo laptop has died. :(

Started with strage ghost patterns and random squares on the screen, which has changed to multiple coloured vertical lines.

This happens on the BIOS splash screen, so is not a windows issue. Have tried an external monitor, but that is the same.

It has a Nvidia Quadro NVS140m GPU.

The warranty has run out, so I guess that Lenovo will not be interested. Will call them anyway.

The laptop was purchased from a company on eBay. Am going to email them tomorrow and mention the sale of goods act, and see if I get anywhere.

Hello, sorry to hear about your problems with your defective laptop.

Your first point of contact should be the store where you purchased it, I don't think that Lenovo will be interested.

There is a template letter you can send which is available under the "Law and Sale of Goods" section of this forum.

Good luck with your quest and please keep us updated.

If I can be of any help please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
Lapcure

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm 

Model: Lenovo R61, GPU NVS140M
Amount Paid: 915
Date Purchased: 0-10-2007
Date Failed: 0- 2-2010
I too have a dead R61 with a quadro 140 card. Died around February time, bought in Oct 2007 from Insight UK, now unfortunately out of warranty -- was only 1 year. I have once concern about attempting to get a refund/exchange. A few months prior, the fan failed, real horrible grinding noises. I ordered an OEM replacement fan direct from Lenovo and swapped out the dodgy one. Machine worked fine up until Feb. What concerns me, is that if they look at the internal parts, they'll spot the new fan and I'm worried that this will go against my claim. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Boredstupid and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems with your laptop.

Don't worry about the replacement fan. This will not affect your chances of securing a refund or replacement laptop.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:21 pm 

Right, I finally got round to getting the ball moving on my laptop. I've contacted Insight who replied with in summary, for all warranty and repairs please contact Lenovo. So I've replied as per the instructions on the forum, so we shall see...

On another note, I feel the law underlying all this is a bit odd. I was dreading to think what would happen if the retailer you bought from went under. Then who do you claim from? If in the case that you're stuck, then the law needs changing. As a scary example, you could potentially set up two companies. One to make a product and one to sell it. Conveniently when an inherent defect occurs, the selling company can go under, leaving customers stuck and the manufacturer without liability. Probably too simplistic but still, I could just imagine people trying it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Boredstoopid

Quote:
On another note, I feel the law underlying all this is a bit odd. I was dreading to think what would happen if the retailer you bought from went under. Then who do you claim from? If in the case that you're stuck, then the law needs changing.

I agree with you on 100%. I think that in the absence of the retailer then the manufacturer should be responsible in instances such as this.

The only saving grace in a situation like this would be if the customer paid by credit card - in which case they would have a claim against the card company.

But the law does need to change to protect customers against such situations. Whether it will or not is another matter.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:40 am 

Here's an update... So it's been a fairly slow few weeks. I've had a few conversations with the retailer and supplied them with anecdotal evidence of the Nvidia defect affecting Lenovos, which included owners logging complaints on Lenovo's own forums. The retailer tried taking Lenovo to task by questioning their stance on this defect. Lenovo were not interested and fobbed the retailer off by saying that the defect was too rare to be an issue. Whilst I appreciate the efforts of the retailer, I think it is now time I tackle the retailer head on...

I am going to go ahead with an engineering report. I do have a question before I send the laptop off to you. Do I need to have the hdd in place? I pulled it to run in another machine whilst the original laptop collected dust.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Hello Boredstoopid,

Quote:
Lenovo were not interested and fobbed the retailer off by saying that the defect was too rare to be an issue.

What planet are they living on to say that? Have they got their heads stuck in the sands or do they not know ho to use Google?

How ill-informed of them to say that, or is it a case of that line is the best fob-off that they can come up with?

Whichever the reason they really have no idea do they?

Quote:
I am going to go ahead with an engineering report. I do have a question before I send the laptop off to you. Do I need to have the hdd in place? I pulled it to run in another machine whilst the original laptop collected dust.

No, there is no need for the hard drive as I can perform the tests without it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am 

Right an update. After little contact from my initial queries with the retailer, I sent a letter of complaint. They then replied promptly. They organised to have my laptop picked up so they could assess it. After about 6 weeks I finally get a voicemail message saying they confirmed the graphics fault (I imagine they only did the basic tests) and that they were pursuing Lenovo. Get a call today, they're not prepared to do anything repair-wise or refund as Lenovo have said that this is not a problem with their laptops and that their is "no evidence" to suggest contrary -- apart from the brick that is now on its way back to me, and people on Lenovo's very own forums complaining about it. They also claim that because it happened out of warranty that is pretty much my problem. Expletives! So I've asked for all the details/stances to be sent to me in writing and the laptop returned. Looks like I'll have to push harder!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Hello Boredstoopid,

Don't worry about their response as this is to be expected.

The law is on your side and they have no option but to offer a resolution.

Your next step is to obtain an engineers report which you can use to sue them. If you would like us to provide you with a report then please let me know.

Believe me, if your laptop is indeed inherently defective then you really cannot lose so they can obfuscate matters as much as they like but their position is indefensible.

Don't stand for it, stick to your guns, be persistent and you will succeed.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence