The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

{ VISITS } Views: 14042  Favorites Favorites: 1  Followers Followers: 0 
Favorites: cnuylvlne
 Post subject: HP Pavilion dv6525em
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm 

Laptop Make: HP
Model: Pavilion dv6525em
Graphics Card: Unknown
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 465
Date Purchased: 17 Oct 2007
Date Failed: 01 Jan 2012
I don't see the HP Pavilion dv6525em on any of the lists, but my daughter's machine does seem to be exhibiting the usual NVIDIA faults. Unfortunately I can't confirm the chip type as the machine is currently refusing to boot.

Purchased in late 2007, (from Laskys) this unit started misbehaving a few weeks ago - refusing to boot, hanging during the process, not running the restore/repair startup options (if it gets that far) etc - then occasionally, working just fine. The diagnostics indicate no problems with either hard disc or memory and I ran System File Checker and CHKDSK /F with no unexpected results when it booted yesterday.

I've written an email to HP who sent back the standard - we offered an extended warranty for some, but now it's too late. I expressed my view that this was effectively an acknowledgement that the units were unfit for purpose and that the timing of the manifestation of the problem didn't remove their responsibility for it. I also believe and told them that it is rather insidious to recognise a problem but not communicate it to the customer. HP was unmoved by this line.

I've removed the hard drive in order to test it in another machine, but regard this only as a final test.

Once done, I'll contact Laskys for their position.

Anyone got any experience of how they will react?

As an aside, I had the opportunity to experience another approach to customer service today. The internal pane of one of the Velux windows in our bedroom suddenly cracked late last night. I rang Velux for advice. Their response - after asking if anyone was hurt - was to say that they were aware of some units that had a stress weakness produced some time ago - and we'll be in touch shortly to arrange a time to replace the window. Are there any others the same size in the house? - Yes - We will replace those at the same time. Didn't even ask for proof of purchase and when I said the windows had been in about 8 years the lady simply said - "Yes - that's likely". Perhaps other companies could benefit from this lesson in openness and customer care.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on MySpace
 Post subject: Re: HP Pavilion dv6525em
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Irwright and welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear that your laptop has failed.

Your laptop contains an Nvdia 7150 GPU which whilst not as prolific as the Nvidia 8400 and Nvidia 8600 GPU's is still failing due to the defect.

When you say that it refuses to boot, do you see anything on the screen?

At what point does the restore fail?

If your laptop is indeed inherently defective the the route to a resolution is as follows.

Laskys, which is part of Comet, will probably try and fob you off in the first instance.

You should contact them and should tell them that your laptop has failed due to what you believe is an inherent defect in the Nvidia GPU.

They may tell you that your laptop is out of warranty and that there is nothing that they can do. You should tell them that the warranty status is irrelevant as you have six years from the date of purchase in which to bring an action against a retailer when the goods in question are inherently defective.

They may then tell you to contact HP. You should tell them that you purchased from Laskys and not from HP so it is entirely Laskys responsibility to resolve the situation.

See what they say. If they say they will inspect it for a fee you should refuse and say that due to the "reverse burden of proof" then you will provide your own independent engineers report.

There is a step by step guide on this forum that will help you reach a positive resolution and that is here:- post13.html#p13

If you follow my advice in that guide then you will be successful.

I hope the above helps.

If you have any questions or if you need any advice then please let me know.

Good luck and best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:54 pm 

To answer your questions:

It normally fails to boot after the HP logo - with the small initial Windows "scrolling bar" logo shown dimly on the screen - where it hangs until the HD stops spinning and the light goes off.

You can get into BIOS at the HP logo to run (successful) memory and HDD checks.

Occasionally, it will also move to a "Startup repair"/"Load Windows normally" option. "Load normally" goes nowhere, and "Startup repair" gets as far as a grey bar moving across the screen with a "Windows loading files" message - and then to black screen. This is also what happens if you attempt "system restore" from the HP screen.

Occasionally it boots fine and runs without problems, though on a few occasions the display has suddenly shifted to a set of zigzag red and white horizontal lines.

My initial thought was that this was a hard drive or software problem, but CHKDSK and System File Checker (which I ran when it deigned to boot up a few days ago) didn't come up with anything out of the ordinary - and a Google search came up with your site - and the massive number of internet reports from people with the same issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

It does sound like it could be the GPU that is defective.

The reason you can get into the BIOS okay but not into windows is because the BIOS is only displayed in VGA mode and so the GPU is not really used.

The problem with Windows hanging could be related to the switching from VGA mode to SVGA mode although it could also be related to bad sectors on the hard drive.

You may want to run CHKDSK again but this time with the /R switch.

Alternatively you could also download a program called Hdd Regenerator. Whilst this program is only a trial version it is very good at finding and repairing bad sectors.

This can be downloaded from here:- http://www.dposoft.net/products/hddreg/ ... hr2011.exe

If you download that and then create a bootable CD or USB stick and then run it on your laptop.

If it finds any bad sectors then that would likely be be the cause of your problem though the zig zag lines that you had mentioned would indicate otherwise.

The reason I suggest that you check the hard drive first is so that you can completely discount that as being the root cause of the problem.

Once you have done this please let me know and I will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 pm 

Apologies for the long silence.

At Lasky's insistence, I obtained a report from my local PC World (KnowHow) that confirmed all was well with Vista, the HDD and RAM and diagnosed the NVIDIA chip as the cause of the problem. I forgot to mention that the machine has always run hot - which also tends to pointin this direction.

Comet/Laskys have rejected the claim and I've issued a small claims court process - using the useful postings on your site.

I'm now assembling the evidence for the hearing. I have a condemning report and all cost etc evidence, but the trail has gone cold (been chilled?) on a lot of the background story.
A lot of the relevant HP/NVIDIA web pages have now been taken down - I wonder why?

Could you point me in the direction of evidence that I can submit to confirm that the chip in my machine is suspect - chips and HP laptops affected, the nature of the problems, and that NVIDIA / HP were aware of the problem. I'm hoping that copies of the relevant pages exist somewhere.

Thanks and Regards,

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Ian,

How scandalous that Laskys/Comet should advise that you take your laptop to PC World and then reject the report that they provided.

Isn't that just typical of them as a company!

Please could you let me know the exact contents of the report that you have and I will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:51 pm 

The report's pretty concise and to the point - on KnowHow headed paper:

"To whomever it may concern,

After running numerous diagnostics on the Laptop belonging to Mr Wright, we can confirm that there is a fault with the mainboard/chipset.

Ther are numerous times where the laptop will not boot and continuously hangs. There is no HDD, RAM fault on the machine.

This would be an inherent fault with the AMD NVIDIA mainboard/chipset.

Regards

Karl Lawrence"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting that information.

I am a little confused by the following statement in your report:-

KnowHow wrote:
This would be an inherent fault with the AMD NVIDIA mainboard/chipset.

The reason I say that is because your laptop contains an Nvidia 7150 GPU along with an AMD Athlon X2 CPU.

These are two separate chips and are unconnected. Therefore the inherent defect would be with one and not the other so that statement could cause confusion for anyone reading it.

You may want to go back to PC World to see if they can amend the report to specifically state which of the two chips the defect is actually with.

I can therefore understand why Lasky's probably rejected the report.

If you are to rely on an engineers report in court then it has to be irrefutable and should not be open to interpretation.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:29 pm 

Paul,

Thank you for identifying that chink in the armour. I suspect that their rejection is simply a formulaic response, but I definitely need to address this.

I'm trying to attach their letter, but I'm getting a "board attachment quota has been reached" message.

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Ian,

Thank you for pointing the attachment problem out. I have now resolved this so you can now go ahead and post the letter that you have.

Once you have done that I will take a look and will advise further.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence