The Nvidia Defect Forum

The UK's Only Dedicated Forum For Owners Of Laptops Crippled With The Nvidia Defect.

Defective Nvidia GPU? - HP Nvidia Defect? Blank Screen problems? Laptop Display Problems?
Laptop hot/overheating? - Laptop can't detect wireless card?

Do you own a laptop with the same/similar problems? Don't worry - we can help!

Get all the free advice and assistance you need to secure a refund/replacement for
laptops with inherently defective Nvidia GPU's here at the Nvidia Defect Forum.

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share

Click here to view the CEO of Nvidia admit to the defect in their GPU's.

The truth cannot stay buried forever!

Click here to instantly calculate the minimum refund you would be entitled to.

*NEW* Help For Retailers - Does The Customer Have Rights?

Note to Manufacturers And Retailers - The Truth Will Set You Free!

Ucan Reuse IT - www.ucanreuseit.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
{ VISITS } Views: 11852  Favorites Favorites: 0  Followers Followers: 1 
Followers: Junkbird
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 pm 

Laptop Make: Dell
Model: XPS M1530
Graphics Card: 8600M GS
Purchased From: Direct From Manufacturer
Amount Paid: 619
Date Purchased: 10 Jun 2008
Date Failed: 17 Mar 2013
Yes, I was looking at the calculator you have and it works out I would get something like £120 pro rated for the laptop... Not good, but then better than just binning it and forking out for a new one. Albeit something other than a Dell (and certainly not an HP...)

I'll send my friend Rakshith a note on Friday and see what sort of warranty I would get on the replacement part, but I wont send it to Dell until I have the independent engineer report (that reminds me, I must give them a call and see how long they'll be, had it for a few days now). I would rather send the laptop to Dell knowing full well what issues it has, last thing I want is any "oh we found this was damaged so it's going to cost you..." surprises from them.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Purchased From: High Street Store
Amount Paid: 0
Hello Matt,

Thank you for the update.

Good luck with the next step and fingers crossed for you. :x

I look forward to your next update.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Why you should not accept a repair
Links to evidence
What is the Nvidia Defect?
Step by step help to getting a refund
Do you need an engineers report?
=======================================================

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 pm 

Quick update for you, I'm still in communications with Dell about getting the laptop 'repaired', as they refused to budge from this stance and given the low valuation this seems to be a good option. However, something interesting came to light in the most recent email from them...

I've asked to have a new motherboard fitted but been told they don't manufacture this anymore so will be a refurb (!), but and I quote...
Quote:
However, we would like to mention that NVidia has made suitable changes to the video chipset to resolve the inherent issue. It is very unlikely that the computer will fail again with the similar issue after it is serviced at the depot. We appreciate your co-operation

So I went back and said, fine... but I have little to no confidence in the 'fix' and wanted to know the warranty for the repair

Answer...
Quote:
The motherboard replaced will be covered under the 5 years NVidia special warranty which is applicable from the date of invoice

So to me that says that the chipset still has the inherent defect... and I'm know left thinking, what's the point of getting a repair if it's going to fail again - I may as well refuse this and send them the second letter to pursue a replacement / refund. Even if I only get the pro-rated refund as per the calculator here, at least I'll have some cash to put towards a new laptop, which I wouldn't have if the fault doesn't materialise in the next 13 months?

Hmm, what to do, what to do...

Matt

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Admin

Hello Matt,

Well, if, as Dell claim, the chipset has been "revised" then how do they explain the re-failure of laptops after such a repair has been undertaken?

There was a post recently in this forum where such a failure had taken place and that board was also supposed to have a "revised" chipset.

If you were to receive a pro-rated refund then like you quite rightly stated it would not amount to much so is that worth having?

A better idea would be to accept the repair and if it does fail again then you should sue Dell for breach of contract. The breach of contract would be their false promise that the board would contain a "revised" GPU which was the only reason you accepted the repair.

Alternatively you could accept the repair and then promptly sell the laptop as that would return you more cash than the pro-rated refund.

The decision, as they say, is yours.

I hope the above helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

If you like what you see on this forum and would like to help then please post links to this forum in other forums or blogs. The more people we can help the better.

Please note that I am not legally qualified and I only offer my own personal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice for formal clarification of advice I give.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 pm 

Thanks Paul, I'm pretty much set to go with the 'repair'. Let's see what happens - like I say though I have little to no confidence that this will be a proper fix. Is there any way of telling though when I get it back whether the GPU is a dodgy one?

If I do have another failure though and go down the rout of suing Dell, what should I expect for a resolution on the case?

BTW, I saw this on ebay when I was looking at how much the XPS sells for (not much it would seem). Is this service worth considering should the worst happen? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-XPS-M153 ... 4ac3236731

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Matt,

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I have been away for a few days.

I would not advocate a repair to your laptop as such repairs are prone to failure irrespective of what the repair company may tell you.

Should the repair from Dell fail again then you can still sue but instead of the new date of failure you would use the date that you recently filed your claim on the grounds that you were given mis-information with regard to the quality of the parts that were to be used.

I hope the above helps.

Good luck with the repair and fingers crossed you get many more years years of faithful service from your laptop. :x :x

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 am 

So the XPS is back with me now and on first impressions all is good - although I haven't stress tested it yet... Have run the heat test though and idle it runs between 55-68c, plus the fan only kicks in when it reaches the high 60s so looks like they haven't done the BIOS update.

Dell replaced the motherboard and GPU, replaced the LCD screen (not sure why) and replaced the faulty DVD drive free of charge. In all it took about a week from courier pick-up to courier drop-off, so in terms of that I'm happy and can't complain, in fact apart from the lack of guarantees on the repair, Dell have been very professional and courteous with me thus far. I wish though I had asked them throw in a new battery... Pretty sure I could have swung that as a goodwill freebie :)

I will update if the GPU goes belly up again, but here's hoping I get another 5 years service from the machine... :x

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 pm 

Model: M1530
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 900
Date Purchased: 18 Oct 2008
Date Failed: 20 Feb 2013
Crap crap crap! My £900 M1530 with an 8600M GT gave up the ghost late February, and initial Google searches seemed to indicate that UK buyers were pretty much on their own. I wasted money on what turned out to be another defective motherboard off ebay, and paid to get it fitted by a local IT store who managed to lose the PSU and scratch the laptop casing grrr

My M1530 is currently sitting in pieces inside a cupboard. If only I'd known dell were offering repairs :b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Turnbull2000 and welcome to my forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced.

The good news is that you can still pursue a resolution against the retailer so that fact that a repair has been undertaken is not a problem.

Please can you let me know who you purchased from and how you paid and I will advise further.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Links to evidence

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm 

Model: M1530
Purchased From: Website Sale
Amount Paid: 900
Date Purchased: 18 Oct 2008
Date Failed: 20 Feb 2013
Lapcure wrote:
Hello Turnbull2000 and welcome to my forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced.

The good news is that you can still pursue a resolution against the retailer so that fact that a repair has been undertaken is not a problem.

Please can you let me know who you purchased from and how you paid and I will advise further.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes

Paul
The Admin Team

Hi Paul,

I bought online from Dell UK, but not sure if I used my credit or debit card. Will have to dig up my records.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next